May 01, 2021
Notes from a Chef
Semolina pudding may invoke memories of childhood but the Milaidhoo Semolina Pudding (Kiru Boakibaa) will conjure up memories of a dreamy vacation on a tropical isle in the Indian Ocean. Cook your Kiru Boakibaa, enhanced with tropical flavours, at home with our simple recipe.
1 litre Water
200 g Sugar
10 Cardamom pods.
15 g Pandan Leaf (an Asian Herb)
100 g Coconut Milk Powder
100g Corn Flour
- Place the water, sugar, cardomon pods and pandan leaf in a medium saucepan.
- Let the water boil until the spices flavour the water (around 10 minutes).
- Strain the water through a fine strainer into another saucepan.
- Boil the water again adding the coconut milk powder. Use a hand whisk to mix it thoroughly.
- Add enough of this water to corn flour to make it liquid.
- Pour the corn flour mixture into the boiling coconut milk and mix it with a hand whisk, continuously otherwise it will burn, until it thickens.
- Transfer the mixture into a ceramic bowl or mould.
- Keep the mixture at room temperature to cool down. Then place it in the refrigerator to cool overnight. Now you can enjoy the subime, tropical taste of Kiru Boakibaa.